Wearers of this accessory are often stereotyped as being eccentric, extremely intelligent, and rigid in character. If you ask someone what comes to mind when you mention bow ties their response will more than likely conjour up images in their head of nerds, comics, magicians, circus ringmasters, scientists, and university professors.
When I've been out clubbing recently, I've noticed this trend of bow tie wearing has really become popular, particularly in the rnb/hip-hop/bashment/afro-beats scene.
Here are some of my acquaintances who I think pull the look off with effortless suave:
Did you know that there are three general types of bow tie? (yeah, neither did I until I was doing my research on it) :
1) Bat-wing- has straight sides and best worn with a tuxedo;
2) Butterfly/ thistle- has curved sides and is more appropriate to wear during the day;
3) Diamond tip- has pointed tips.
Dress It Up
The most obvious option is to wear a satin bow tie with a suit and possibly matching handkerchief.
Dress It Down
- Don't wear it with a suit;
- Do roll up your sleeves or try wearing one with a short-sleeved shirt;
- Do try the look with a patterned shirt such as check;
- Do try it with trousers of a more casual material, such as jeans, corduroys, khaki.
- Particularly for daywear, do select ones with textured fabrics like wool, selvage denim, straight cotton etc.
- Do go for patterned ones to avoid looking too formal, such as paisleys, stripes or dots;
- Do sync the colours of your bow tie with your outfit.
An alternative way to wear a bow tie is to leave it untied and wear it with an open shirt collar and jacket.
All in all, match it with what you think looks good and is suitable for the time of day and occasion.
I've selected 8 bow ties in stores that I think are really cute:
1. Carrot & Gibbs Silk Self Tie Bow Tie (Nordstrom £37.70)
2. Duchamp Kluklos StrIpe Bow Tie - (Selfridges £65)
3. Orange Candy Stripe Bow Tie (Topman £10)
4. Black Chunky Twill Ready Tied Bow Tie (Red Herring at Denhams £9.50)
6. Drakes Dotted Silk Bow Tie (Mr Porter £75)
7. Purple Floral Bow Tie (Austin Reed £25)
8. Check Cord Bow Tie (ASOS £8)
Do you think you'd look good in a bow tie? Is it a style you've thought about wearing before?
Or ladies, why not try to persuade your other half to wear one? You might be pleasantly surprised as to how well it suits him.